Now I know that the LORD rescues his anointed king. He will answer him from his holy heaven and rescue him by his great power. Psalm 20:6 (NLT).
I have been in ghettos and the projects of different cities. I had and took an opportunity to go with a friend to one such place here in Cape Town. It had all the similar feelings, smells and sights you see in such places. Walking up a flight of stairs to knock on a door there were stares directed in our direction, some baleful and some genuinely curious at these well off white people in a place you wouldn't normally sight one. (There were three of us, my friend the driver, my long time friend from back home and myself.) We met with a man who was a long time friend of my friend, he warmly welcomed us into his home and then started weeping. My words, any words really I think, would be insufficient to describe what he has gone through and must go through still. It was surprising the freedom this man felt in pouring his heart to his friend in the presence of a couple of strangers.
My friend gave wise counsel and was simply there for our host. The other two of us sat in silence listening and empathizing as best as possible. This man loves Jesus like few I have ever seen. He encountered the raw love of God a few years ago when his world was coming down on him and has since then been discipled by my driver friend. He has clung to the promises and goodness of God and can honestly say that God has met him in all the loss and despair giving him a sense of identity, purpose and just day to day encouragement. As our time with our host drew to a close we asked if we could pray for him. He said of course so we waited on the Lord. Let me tell you, the presence of God invaded that small living room. All of the pressure of being a single father for two small sick children, the pain of losing most of his wife and parents in a year's time, the haunting of a gang involved past not dedicated to Jesus (that he really does realize has been dealt with at the cross) and the stress of men that are looking for an opportunity to kill him fell off his face. He literally looked different - better - as we prayed together and then had to leave. As we left my new friend said that the atmosphere changed as we walked into his house and now there was so much joy and hope in his heart. I hope to spend time with this guy, when he talks to God he speaks with power like I've never heard before. I don't think he realizes yet how much influence he has on Daddy's heart and the authority he has to speak to people and situations around him.
Get excited family, God is moving and CPx hasn't even started yet. It is Saturday, today and Sunday are our last "free days." The rest of the students will show up today and tomorrow and school starts Monday. I am deeply grateful to all of you who have contributed to make this experience possible. I am still doing some fund raising so if you're interested in giving lemme know!
No comments:
Post a Comment